Saturday 16 August 2014

Laparoscopy time!

I'd fasted overnight and was super thirsty. I hadn't slept well but hopped in the shower and into my loose but warm clothes.


Luckily my husband woke up to take me to the day hospital. He's not a fan of getting up before 8am so 6.15am was always going to be tough for him.


We arrived and I was admitted with my husband with me. I was given panadol with water which didn't make sense as I thought I couldn't drink? Anyway, I then said my goodbyes to my husband as I was led to get dressed. I got in a hospital gown, which I had so much trouble figuring out as it had three ties...seriously..are people not challenged enough? Then I put my hairnet and footcovers on and sat in the waiting area. I was eventually called by the anaesthetist  and discussed my worries about nausea, as after my last laparoscopy I was readmitted for severe vomiting. I was then sat back down in the waiting area.


After a little bit longer, I was collected by a lady with heavy make up. She asked if I'd been to the toilet and I said no she she told me to go. I then realised I forgotten to take my underwear off, so I quickly removed it, along with any dignity and walked back to the lady. We walked down a hall then and into an operating room. There were two cheerful ladies setting up... 'don't look' I thought, 'don't look'. On the other side of the room as my anaesthetist. She asked how I was feeling I said 'fine, freaking out a little bit'. Then I climbed awkwardly on the table. I was so nervous at this point. There really was no turning back. The anaesthetist then told me I would feel a sting in my hand, and YES I did. She told me to look at the other lady who was putting a mask on my face. Something tasted weird and they began chatting about the ekka. I don't remember anything after that.


I started waking up in the recovery room every time a machine beeped and my arm cuff swelled. I could only wake for a moment because I felt SO TIRED. The nurse, who knows what she looked like, asked if I was in any pain. I think I said no. Then I dozed again. She then checked my vitals again, my pad, and offered me water before moving my bed to the other side of the room. People were asking about my pain and all I wanted was to be left alone to sleep. So very tired.


Eventually the anaesthetist came to speak to me. I think she said something about giving me a script for nausea medication. I really don't know.


Then another lady came and asked how I was. I told her I was so tired and didn't want anything. She said I needed to have some lemonade and tilted up my bed. I had a few sips of lemonade but really didn't want them. She put a bung in my drip and I suddenly felt pain under my right ribcage. After a little while longer of trying to keep my eyes open she checked my pad and asked me if I was ready to get dressed. I said I would try and she handed me a pad. She helped me to get into sitting position and then found my clothes and assisted me to get ready. She then took me to a sitting area with armchairs and I sat here for about half an hour before my husband came.


Another nurse came and checked my temp and blood pressure before removing the needle from my hand. I was then stood up and was sent on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment