Saturday 16 August 2014

The 5 days after my laparoscopy...

Day 1.


As I hadn't been in any real pain in the hospital I was not given any pain killers. As soon as I got home my shoulders were killing me. I quickly took two codeine/paracetamol tablets and fell asleep. I woke up in pain after two hours but couldn't take pain killers for another two hours so walked around the house to distract myself from the pain. I took the medication my anaesthetist gave me for nausea. I used constant heat packs (to the point it was burning my skin) to ease the pain. I got about four hours sleep overnight, which I thought was okay as I had slept most of the day. I wasn't hungry but had clear fluids, including peppermint tea, water and lemonade. At this point I was taking pain killers every 4-5 hours. I noticed that I had blue liquid, as well as some brown discharge in my pad. I quickly messaged my friend who assured me that it was the dye they use to check your tubes. Phew!


Day 2.


I was in slightly less shoulder pain but now my lower back was sore. I was still using heatpacks, pain killers every 5 hours and nausea medication. I found I could be semi comfortable if flat on my side so I lay like this for a while. I felt pretty miserable on this day. It was also a public holiday so some friends came over and kindly brought me some flowers and warm wishes.




Day 3.


My husband had to go back to work so I was on my own. I was in less and less shoulder pain so stopped taking pain killers during the day. Plus I started to worry about my bowels as I hadn't so much as passed gas and have occasional constipation issues anyway. I took a coloxyl tablet but I don't think it did anything. I decided to call my doctor to find out the results of my surgery. He said that my ovaries were "good" and my endometriosis was "good" but that my right tube was blocked. He said it had scarring and adhesions. I had a cyst removed and endometriosis burnt about ten years ago so I wondered if this happened then. I'm very surprised when he said my ovaries and endometriosis was good. I really want to get more information and confirmation before I get too excited because I was told that I have polycystic ovaries (via a few tests in the last few months) and endometriosis (via the lap 10 years ago, and apparently endo only gets worse). I tried to ask questions about what we would do next, iui, ivf etc but he said we would discuss that at my next appointment.


I decided to try and remove my dressings and put new ones on if needed. This took a while and freaked me out as I don't like blood and was trying not to faint. I washed both my belly button incision and pubic line incision and dried them before putting breathable Band-Aids on so my clothes didn't rub. I took a nap this afternoon which I didn't realise I even needed!




Day 4.


I was off the pain medication and moving around a lot more easily. I felt like my bladder was filling really quickly. I drove to a friend's place and we went out for brunch. It was really nice. I was pretty tired when I came home but kept going and tried to tidy the house. We went out to dinner with my brother and his fiancĂ© and while we were there my belly button was stinging. It felt like it was pulling from the inside. I don't know how they do dissolving stitches but I felt like I had internal stitches. I really hoped they would settle down. 




Day 5.


I had to try on bridesmaids dresses today so I had to cover both my incisions so they wouldn't rub. I was still quite swollen today but I'm not sure if that's from the gases or because I'm constipated. I managed to try on dresses and walk around with the bridal party for a few hours but as soon as I got home I was sore everywhere and had to sit down with a heat pack on my lower back. My period also came today so I'm not sure which symptoms are which anymore. I decided, after two more coloxyl and half a bottle of prune juice, to send my husband to the late night chemist to buy me an enema. It eventually got things moving a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment